+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Audi B6 A4 DIY: DIY Head Gasket 1.8T

Enthusiast Dan[FN]5857 has an average reputation Dan[FN]5857's Avatar

Exclamation Audi B6 A4 DIY: DIY Head Gasket 1.8T

Have you just found out that your headgasket is leaking/blown? well damn. that sucks man, trust me. I know.

Well, theres a few options.

-1. Assume the position and take your car to the dealer and have them put the royal shaft in your bum for labor/parts.

-2. Take it to a indy shop and still pay $$$ and hope they don't mess anything up, seeing how it is one of them fancy Geerrr-man tuurbo'ed charged cars.

-3. Get some of that head gasket fixer stuff that you put in your coolant from AutoZone and see how that works out.

-4. Nut up and do it yourself. Show all your friends and everyone at the office how amazing your wrenchin' skills are, and brag about how much moolah you saved by doing it yourself.

First off, you're going to need all the basic tools in a "Mechanic's Tool Set", kinda like this:

- a pair of pliers:

- set of torque bits:

- some allen bits:

- torque wrench:

- and headbolt tool. If you have OEM headbolts. you'll need this tool:

- If you have ARP headbolts, you'll need this tool

You can get both of those tools from here: CLICKY

************************************************** ***********************************************
    I am assuming you know how to do most of this stuff, since you are attempting to replace your HG. So I'll keep it short as possible.
    ************************************************** ***********************************************

****I am not responsible for any damage that you cause to your car or yourself, by following this DIY****

Well here it is. Ready for you to rip her apart, savagely.

Take out the headlights.

Remove the bumper cover and rebar

Remove FMIC and piping, Drain coolant. (I don't wanna hear it about the green coolant.)

Put the lock carrier into the service position, remove the serpentine belt tensioner and timing belt covers.

Remove timing belt hydraulic tensioner and timing belt.

Remove fuel injectors, and unplug the cam position sensor, and VVT solenoid. remove coil packs and take out the spark plugs. remove coolant line to the hardpipe, move coolant tank. remove PCV stuff. Also remove the coolant flange.

Remove lines to the turbo, pull the intake manifold back out of the way. Might as well disconnect the cat/downpipe/testpipe/whatever from the turbo.

Take off the valve cover and remove the plastic caps covering the intake cam.

This is the tool I am using since I am running ARP headbolts as of now.

Now, time to take out the headbolts. I always take them out in the order that you're supposed to tighten them. Not sure if its actually necessary, but I do it.

Now, after you take all the headbolts out, put the VC back on and put a nut on the middle stud, just keep it in place. get a good hold on the head and lift up, make sure you have something to put the head down on.

Now since you took it all apart, you should be able to put it back together. Obviously its just reverse order. Make sure that you clean both the block and head surfaces very well before you reassemble it.

Anymore, it only takes me around 2.5 hours to change a headgasket in a 1.8t. This took me around 2 hours just to tear down, since I decided that I would do a write up. and it was really nice out today, so I took my time. Make sure you give yourself a couple days to complete this, just to take your time and not make any costly mistakes, like not having the engine back in time, stuff like that.

HAVE FUN!!! and feel good about all the cheddah that you saved yourself.
    Last edited by Dan[FN]5857; 02-18-2011 at 06:20 PM.
    -Dan

PTE HP5857SP build completed.

THE STIG Joey is a true asset to the Euro Addiction community Joey is a true asset to the Euro Addiction community Joey is a true asset to the Euro Addiction community Joey is a true asset to the Euro Addiction community Joey is a true asset to the Euro Addiction community Joey is a true asset to the Euro Addiction community Joey's Avatar

Nice DIY. Thanks for sharing with us. Is it essential that you replace all of the head bolts with new ones during reinstall?

Joey Cuccaro

Arnold Palmer Club Member #1

DrinkAndBeMerryBitches beemercer is a true asset to the Euro Addiction community beemercer is a true asset to the Euro Addiction community beemercer is a true asset to the Euro Addiction community beemercer is a true asset to the Euro Addiction community beemercer is a true asset to the Euro Addiction community beemercer is a true asset to the Euro Addiction community beemercer is a true asset to the Euro Addiction community beemercer is a true asset to the Euro Addiction community beemercer's Avatar

nice writeup dude

Arnold Palmer Club Member #7 - -Scott's Ho Dropped The Chicken- -The Fat-Body FourPointTwo

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    Nice DIY. Thanks for sharing with us. Is it essential that you replace all of the head bolts with new ones during reinstall?

Yes, always use new headbolts, unless you have ARP headbolts, they're reusable.

Quote Originally Posted by beemercer View Post
    nice writeup dude
    thanks man
    -Dan

Euro Addict 04.5 GLI is on their way to something great 04.5 GLI is on their way to something great 04.5 GLI's Avatar

great diy! maybe i should show the junior techs at my dealer this so theyll leave me the hell alone!!
    N.E.R.D PREZ
    ARNY ADDICTION
    DUB TECHY

IM ARNOLD PALMERbut im told i look more like john daly
    the old-guy-with-no-more-braincells-member....what??
    hug a fat guy and youll feel better

GLI clubmember#001

North East Region Dubs 03b6avant is on their way to something great 03b6avant is on their way to something great 03b6avant is on their way to something great 03b6avant's Avatar

where was Dan with this write up when we did my HG in Joey's Garage

nice write up

Quote Originally Posted by 04.5 GLI View Post
    great diy! maybe i should show the junior techs at my dealer this so theyll leave me the hell alone!!
    haha!

Quote Originally Posted by 03b6avant View Post
    where was Dan with this write up when we did my HG in Joey's Garage

nice write up
    lol sorry dude. it was kind of spontaneous really. I went to start to take it apart and thought "idk if there's really any DIYs for pulling the head..... hmmm"

I didn't want to run out of daylight, so I was pretty skimpy with the pics.
    -Dan

EA Member greywarden has an average reputation greywarden's Avatar

dude thanks for sharing this! now i am thinking if i will just find an independent mechanic because that is a bit pain in the arse to do that thing so instead of buying those tools i will just pay it for labor cost.lol by the way where do you get your audi parts guys? can i trust this site that i found for audi parts? not really known to me and my friends.
    Last edited by greywarden; 08-05-2011 at 11:10 PM.

EA Member xdewaynex has an average reputation xdewaynex's Avatar

Nice write up on the head gasket replacement, will help on my B5. Seeing this, if you can do a timing belt swap, this shouldnt be that much harder. As for good places to buy parts, Ive dealt with ECS, MJM Autohaus, Haus of Dubs, 034 and AutohausAZ. Ive had good experience from all of them.
    1998.5 A4 1.8TQM / FrankenTurbo F4H-L / C2 Motorsports Tuning / 440cc Injectors / C2 Billet 3" MAF Housing / Cat Delete / Vibrant Muffler

Enthusiast BaconBait has an average reputation BaconBait's Avatar

If you have a stock location turbo or similar location turbo, there's no need to take the turbo out. Just unbolt the oil line from the head and take out the 3 bolts holding the turbo to the manifold.

kms
    New Member kms has an average reputation kms's Avatar

Default head bolts torque

Hi. Can anybody clarify what torque I should use for head bolts on my A4 2003 1.8T?
    I found two different value from different sources:
    1. torque to 44 lb Ft (60 NM) then two times 90°.
    2. torque to 30 lb ft (40 NM) then two times 90°.

Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread