+ Reply to Thread

Thread: fuel pump cycle - clicking noise

Enthusiast jdmnomore has an average reputation jdmnomore's Avatar

Default fuel pump cycle - clicking noise

In the past week I've noticed my fuel pump making a clicking sound while priming.. I know I read something about this.. should I be really worried?
    Car: 04 S4
    Mods:
    034 Adjustable Upper Control Arms / FI Non Res Exhaust / Milltek 2.5in Catless DPs / JHM 93 Tune / JHM Intake Spacers / H&R Sport Springs / JHM Short shifter / Adams Slotted+Dimpled Rotors / Goodrich SS Brake Lines / Hawk HPS pads / Apikol Snub Mount / evo THOR skidplate

THE STIG Joey is a true asset to the Euro Addiction community Joey is a true asset to the Euro Addiction community Joey is a true asset to the Euro Addiction community Joey is a true asset to the Euro Addiction community Joey is a true asset to the Euro Addiction community Joey is a true asset to the Euro Addiction community Joey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jdmnomore View Post
    In the past week I've noticed my fuel pump making a clicking sound while priming.. I know I read something about this.. should I be really worried?
    Sounds like the pump is getting a bit weak. On my 04 I had this issue if i didnt start the car for a while, especially in the cold weather. Never noticed it during the summer months and didn't have to replace it.

Joey Cuccaro

Arnold Palmer Club Member #1

Enthusiast ninertriplezero is on their way to something great ninertriplezero is on their way to something great ninertriplezero is on their way to something great ninertriplezero's Avatar

if it persists into spring, start with the fuel filter. cheap and easy to replace.
    Go away, 'batin

Enthusiast Angelo has an average reputation Angelo's Avatar

I second the fuel filter. I would do it immidiately. It is a cheap and easy replacement and may save your pump.

I recomended this to another fellow S4 owner. Directly after replacement, the clicking stopped.

El Duderino norcal is a well respected and helpful member of Euro Addiction norcal is a well respected and helpful member of Euro Addiction norcal is a well respected and helpful member of Euro Addiction norcal's Avatar

mine just started doing this, sort of a muffled clicking/ticking kind of sound, I'm sure it's the pump

I did my fuel filter about a year ago
    -justin

B6 S4 MT Avant and a '61 15-window

I have a brand new fuel filter sitting here just been hesitant to tackle it myself was planning on grabbing a serp belt and giving you a call Joey lol.. maybe I'll jump in and do it myself. For reference the current filter has about 20k on it.
    Mods:
    034 Adjustable Upper Control Arms / FI Non Res Exhaust / Milltek 2.5in Catless DPs / JHM 93 Tune / JHM Intake Spacers / H&R Sport Springs / JHM Short shifter / Adams Slotted+Dimpled Rotors / Goodrich SS Brake Lines / Hawk HPS pads / Apikol Snub Mount / evo THOR skidplate

Enthusiast imola s4 has an above average reputation imola s4's Avatar

same thing just started happening to me. upon start up it clicks for a few seconds, almost sounds like its the exhaust vibrating against something but its not. i didn't push in the clutch to start and the clicking noise started from the back right, right where the fuel pump sits. hope its my filter considering its never been changed in 45k miles
    2006 Imola yellow s4 6mt

K&N drop-in, custom borla cat-back by champion motorsports, cf rear lip spoiler, JHM stainless steel shift knob, hawks hps, lw rotors

DrinkAndBeMerryBitches beemercer is a true asset to the Euro Addiction community beemercer is a true asset to the Euro Addiction community beemercer is a true asset to the Euro Addiction community beemercer is a true asset to the Euro Addiction community beemercer is a true asset to the Euro Addiction community beemercer is a true asset to the Euro Addiction community beemercer is a true asset to the Euro Addiction community beemercer is a true asset to the Euro Addiction community beemercer's Avatar

I'd swap the filter asap

Arnold Palmer Club Member #7 - -Scott's Ho Dropped The Chicken- -The Fat-Body FourPointTwo

Enthusiast ninertriplezero is on their way to something great ninertriplezero is on their way to something great ninertriplezero is on their way to something great ninertriplezero's Avatar

20 k on the filter isnt much, unless theres ground seaweed in the gas you use... Might as well go for it anyway, you should be able to tackle the filter easily if you have ramps and a couple tools. There are a couple diy's out there, Not intimidating at all. Just be ready to spill a little fuel.
    Go away, 'batin

Im not to concerned I just hate dealing with clips in the cold I always seem to break them. I use whatever gas is convenient most recently I used Gulf gas which I was hesitant about b/c I know its shitty maybe the quality of gas has something to do with it
    Mods:

Passionate dparm is on their way to something great dparm is on their way to something great dparm is on their way to something great dparm's Avatar

It's not the gas you're using.

Try running a bottle of PEA-heavy cleaner through, like Redline SI-1, Gumout Regane, or Chevron Techron Concentrate.
    Dan Parmelee
    2005 S4 saloon 6MT
    Brilliant Red/black + carbon fibre beltline

Jay
    Passionate Jay is a well respected and helpful member of Euro Addiction Jay is a well respected and helpful member of Euro Addiction Jay is a well respected and helpful member of Euro Addiction Jay's Avatar

Every time I use Techron my filter starts to click like mad.

Passionate dparm is on their way to something great dparm is on their way to something great dparm is on their way to something great dparm's Avatar

Are you using Techron Concentrate? The other Techron stuff is pretty watered down.

I run one of the aforementioned cleaners through with every oil change on all our cars.
    Dan Parmelee
    2005 S4 saloon 6MT
    Brilliant Red/black + carbon fibre beltline

EA Member greywarden has an average reputation greywarden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Every time I use Techron my filter starts to click like mad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelo View Post
    I second the fuel filter. I would do it immidiately. It is a cheap and easy replacement and may save your pump.

I recomended this to another fellow S4 owner. Directly after replacement, the clicking stopped.
    what the!? may be it is just a coincidence because i just bought a techron a while ago.lol nooooo!

By the way is there anything needed to be replace other than fuel filter? mine is a bit similar to a clicking sound but a bit louder. i will try to upload a video clip for the sound i think you are right fuel pump price is really bad if it fails. better be safe than sorry alright i will also replace mine.
    Last edited by greywarden; 05-04-2011 at 07:29 PM.

It's a JKD thing likewater has an average reputation likewater's Avatar

This may help - Any idea what this noise is? AND BTW, mine is clicking again from time to time..FAIL.
    Custom non res cat-back/Magnaflow 14851Mufflers|Piggie Pipes|K&N|JHM Tune w/ Launch Assist|JHM Intake Elbow Heater Bypass|APR Snub Mount|Deka 21lb Battery|19X8.5 RS4 Reps|Nitto NT05 235/35/19|S4 Caliper Springs|Drilled/Slotted Rotors|Koni Yellows|H&R Springs|Hotchkis H/Sport Sways|Cupra Splitter|Pioneer AVIC-D3

Thx that thread definitely has good info regarding this issue. As far as my status on this issue. Replaced the filter about 600 miles ago and the clicking noise dissapeared however there is a new issue which I started a thread about. Filter is now making a fizzing sortve noise, a few members suggested I ignore it for a while and see if it goes away. 200 miles later and its still here, and Ive noticed once in a blue maybe 1 of 5-10 starts I get a weak start. Not sure if its related still probing before I jump to any conclusions.
    Mods:

+ Reply to Thread