+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A bad PCV really causes that bad oil burning huh?

El Duderino norcal is a well respected and helpful member of Euro Addiction norcal is a well respected and helpful member of Euro Addiction norcal is a well respected and helpful member of Euro Addiction norcal's Avatar

Default A bad PCV really causes that bad oil burning huh?

My oil consumption has pretty much shot through the roof (1 quart every 400 miles) after I finished a shit ton of mods earlier this year. All these stupid threads about cylinder scoring had me thinking it was finally time for mine to go (110k). It didn't help that when I pulled my intake (for spacers), a bunch of sand fell into the combustion chamber. I was just thinking "great, I dropped a bunch of sand in there and now I have scored cylinders".

Replaced all the plugs tonight, all of bank 2 were really covered in oil but bank 1 wasn't so bad. Pulled the PCV and that thing didn't rattle at all ... which I guess means it's bad. I guess we'll see once I get a new one installed and driven for a couple weeks, but all signs point to this thing being the culprit of my oil consumption.

Since ECS is out of the generic one, guess I'm gonna suck it up and pay the dealer a left nut for this simple valve.

One of the things I read that really sealed the deal for me thinking the PCV was after I read that a bad PCV can cause the low oil level warning after driving for a while but it doesn't come back on after the car sits for a little bit. Happened to me once a few weeks ago, first time seeing that light since I bought the wagon nearly 30k miles ago.
    -justin

B6 S4 MT Avant and a '61 15-window

Passionate DTMOOOO has an average reputation DTMOOOO's Avatar

I have an extra I can sell you of the generic ones if you want, brand new never taken out of the packaging, PM me if you are interested

El Duderino norcal is a well respected and helpful member of Euro Addiction norcal is a well respected and helpful member of Euro Addiction norcal is a well respected and helpful member of Euro Addiction norcal's Avatar

I'm gonna try and find one tomorrow. I just decided to leave it off until I had the new one since I didn't want to jack around with that lower clamp more than I had to. Got something else to drive anyway.

Was thinking though, could we cap the entry point on the intake and then vent the valve covers into an external canister or something? Crankcase ventilation into the intake FTL.
    -justin

EA Member S4Pirate has an average reputation S4Pirate's Avatar

Can someone really verify that the ball needs to be rattling around when you shake it? The original valve on my car didn't rattle, i got a used one from a member here and it didn't rattle as well (although he said it was a good valve).
    -Alex
    Live Ride Drive Play, 91 Nissan 300zx TT, 04 Audi S4, 05 Yamaha R6

I just picked up a valve from the VW dealership, the Passat (01-04) valve is about $10 cheaper than Audi and the same part #.

This valve rattles not when shaken, but more when you tap on it or hit it lightly against something. I can blow through both ends of the valve just fine, but then again I can blow through both ends of my old valve, which I thought was bad. My old valve does not rattle when struck.
    -justin

Just as a follow up, it's been about a week and I'm seeing no more noticeable oil burning issues, which is awesome.

I took apart my old PCV, which is a totally simple diaphragm valve, and I have no idea how these things can fail but more importantly, how in the hell they cost $140. Two pieces of plastic and a rubber diaphragm, widely used on many VAG cars for 10+ years.
    -justin

Passionate dparm is on their way to something great dparm is on their way to something great dparm is on their way to something great dparm's Avatar

Low demand. The part doesn't really wear out often, if ever. They don't produce a lot of them.
    Dan Parmelee
    2005 S4 saloon 6MT
    Brilliant Red/black + carbon fibre beltline

Quote Originally Posted by dparm View Post
    Low demand. The part doesn't really wear out often, if ever. They don't produce a lot of them.
    Happens enough that every VW and Audi dealership keeps them on the shelf. I'd say that's high demand, just like control arms, window regulators and all that other crap.

I was under the impression this part is high failure.
    -justin

Passionate dparm is on their way to something great dparm is on their way to something great dparm is on their way to something great dparm's Avatar

I wasn't. That part should last for a very long time.
    Dan Parmelee
    2005 S4 saloon 6MT
    Brilliant Red/black + carbon fibre beltline

^ for reals?

1, 2, 3
    -justin

Enthusiast steve-o has an average reputation steve-o's Avatar

1.8t and 2.0t are notorious for broke pcv's, it's a VAG thing.

Vernichtungsgedanke sakimano is a true asset to the Euro Addiction community sakimano is a true asset to the Euro Addiction community sakimano is a true asset to the Euro Addiction community sakimano is a true asset to the Euro Addiction community sakimano is a true asset to the Euro Addiction community sakimano is a true asset to the Euro Addiction community sakimano's Avatar

time for someone to change impressions!

+ Reply to Thread